Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well...


As this blog has evolved, it has been equal parts expressions of catharsis, elation, surreptitiousness, serendipity, and lollifying loquaciousness. I am reticent to disrupt the pattern. The remaining weeks in July after my last post were precisely the unrelenting parade aux folles one would expect when confronted with 12 graduate credit hours to complete in six weeks. Still and all, I often felt the comfort and familiarity that I had developed over time in the Division, and spoke about my experience there frequently during my classroom experiences. We all did everything we could to make the stress of the perilous trek that much less, but, inside of the pressure cooker, there really is only so much you can do. I worked with different groups, directed as I could, offered help where it was needed... and I think that went well. I was selected to help deliver the address to faculty at graduation, something for which I had originally imagined volunteering when the opportunity arose whilst still in Washington, DC, though I never actually raised my hand (virtually), I suppose because I was too caught up in 'productivity.' But, a second chance is always well received, and the speech seemed well received.

Leadership has become an interesting topic of discussion of late, with presidential hopefuls from the opposition party beginning their erstwhile campaigns for the vaunted office. How they shall fare remains to be seen, though the whirling dervish of bravado and politicking currently monopolizing all possible media outlets. Much is at stake, and the field of contenders shows the potential for the country to drift dangerously towards versions of the future that inevitably would prove disastrous for us.

At the same time, this is a period of both great opportunity and great peril. I've begun donating some time to the VA Medical Center, if only to keep busy and gain exposure in a public service position as I search frantically for the next big step. I am making some interesting connections, and I'm certain this won't be the last I write of it. Also, I now have a broad network with a variety of connections, we shall see how that goes. But as August draws to a close, so do the remaining funds that I received from the NUF experience, and the very stark reality of a very limited safety net. Trying to keep things in perspective - balancing opportunity with cost, and cautious optimism with a slippery slope of aggravation. However, my current status is not entirely depressing, there are some prospects on the horizon, and this feels like my time. To quote one of my classmates: "You can master the universe..." and given the amount of obstacles I've managed to overcome just over the summer, I'm inclined to believe him.

No comments: