Sunday, October 2, 2011

So you say you want a revolution....

I'm always shocked, slightly unnerved, and a little dismayed by the amount of time that passes in between posts here. Perhaps because I spend so much time elsewhere writing, I suppose that through some manner of digital osmosis that a measure of writing will find its way here. Unfortunately, despite my fancy for Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Jorge Luis Borges, and Laura Esquivel, I have not been sufficiently infused with the flavor of cybernetic magical realism to achieve such a feat. However, if none of that last sentence made any sense to you, I suggest watching Tron: Legacy - for the combined illusory/illustrative effect.

Since the middle of the month, I've been steadily following the Occupy Wall Street protest, and even visited and written a related article. The first time I visited the occupiers, it was slightly after my visit to the 9/11 Memorial site (pics below) and I must say I was incredibly impressed. The mainstream journalistic coverage of the movement has been entirely plagued with misinformation and doomsayers warning of a maleficent dystopia if these activists are permitted to continue what in many venues is being called lambasted as adolescent, fleeting hysteria. But after two weeks of constant occupation, 66 other cities getting involved, and scheduled appearances of union backing on the schedule for the near future, the truth of the matter is that the mass media's portrayals of this "tiny, insignificant rally" can no longer be ignored. Thousands of protesters showed up for the Brooklyn Bridge incident that took place on Saturday, and it grows exponentially by the day. I expect I will have at least one more article out in the next few days, and that in the offing, it might actually be more.


In other news, I've been asked to report for a linguist exam this coming Tuesday (as in, in two days.) This normally wouldn't be a concern, though, for the past year I haven't actually been doing the work of a linguist, save for minor conversations here and there, and during the past two weeks, my brother's been in town, so there was truly no opportunity for studying of any kind. Talking with another interpreter colleague who knows my skills rather well, I asked what I should do given the extremely tight turn around time. She suggested I go with a 'Zen mentality' to the exam, and try to be as calm as possible. That may just be what I need to do, right after I spend all day tomorrow reviewing all of my notes.

Today was rather interesting, one of the NUF 2011 class members showed up as part of a trip for her new position, and half a dozen of us appeared to share brunch with her. It's always interesting hearing what everyone is doing in the interim, and how many folks have moved on to something new and interesting, or have taken a left turn at Albuquerque, etc. There are many of us that came out of the program and walked straight into positions, but there are a group of us that are still searching for the proper fit, or the right opportunity, and frustrations run high at times. Frustration echoed in the protests by placards reading "Overeducated, underemployed" or similar slogans. In many corners of the internet, this is being called our 'Tahrir Square moment.' Odd that this singular theme has seemed to usurp whatever other message I'd been trying to convey.

In my next post, which first I'll have to be sure to make in the very near future, I shall have to talk about my volunteering at the VA Hospital, and how that has all gone. But for the time being, it's late, and I must sleep.

Good night!


No comments: